Tomorrow, July 13th is National French Fry Day! What a great day! So I thought we would take a min to talk about French Fries today! Enjoy!
Jennifer Steele, M-F 7p-12a, 101.5 K-HITS
Saturday July 13th is National French Fry Day!
Fun Facts About French Fries!
Did you know these fun facts about fries?
- Nobody can agree on where French Fries were invented, but supposedly they were used as a fish substitute back in the 1600s. The locals in Belgium normally fried fish, but in the winter the river was frozen so they couldn’t catch any fish. They turned to potatoes as a substitute!
- French Fries were made official when Thomas Jefferson was president. He actually served them for dinner but called them, “potatoes, fried in the French manner.” They were supposedly his favorite snack!
- The largest serving of fries was served in Eagle, Idaho back in 2014. The fries weighed 1003 pounds.
- Sweet potatoes aren’t actually potatoes. They are actually swollen roots and belong to the same family as Morning Glories. But they sure do make the best French fries!
- There is a whole museum dedicated to French fries called the Friet Museum in Belgium. If possible, celebrate National French Fry Day there!
- The European Space Agency did a study to see how fries would be in space. As the gravity gets stronger, the fries get crispier. But since the gravity in space is less, the fries would be soggy and gross. Even though they are gross with less gravity, they were also the first vegetable grown in space because of NASA.
- There are hundreds of potato types that are grown all around the world. You may think you know all of them, but your grocery store probably only sells the main ones like Russet and Yukon Gold.
- Back in the 1980s, a man John Calvi wrote a song all about French Fries. It’s a little weird, but I feel like we all can relate when he says, “pig out like me on French fries.”
- Almost ¼ of all potatoes in America are consumed as French fries. In fact, Americans eat more than 25 pounds of French Fries every year.
- The most common cause of restaurant fights in relationships is because one person takes fries off of their significant other’s plate.
FRENCH FRY JOKES
Did you know the first French fries weren’t fried in France? They were fried in Greece! Ha ha!
What do french fries do when they meet after a long time? They ketchup! LOL
A guy says to a librarian “I’d like a Big Mac, French Fries and a Coke” The librarian says “I’m sorry sir but this is a library”. The guy says *whispering* “Oh, sorry, I’d like a Big Mac, French Fries and a Coke”
Tasty Captions for All of Your French Fry Pics on Instagram!
- “Fries before guys”
- “Your french fries are just my french fries on the wrong plate.”
- “Today I will be happier than a bird with a french fry“
- “You’re the ketchup to my fries.”
- “My favorite day is fry-day”
7 songs. 1 theme.
That pretty much sums it up!
Each weeknight at 7:00, I play 7 songs that fit some theme. What’s the theme? Listen at 7 to find out and sing along. The funnest part is trying to guess which songs we might play that fit the theme!
Have an idea for a theme? Click Here!